Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Waiting Place

God love Dr. Seuss—for many reasons, but for now; God love Dr. Seuss for Oh The Places You’ll Go! For days, I have roamed around my cabin-crazy fever house, wondering what in the heck was wrong with me. Not just me, but my Littles too, it seems, are plagued by a similar case of indefinable discontentment. Sure it’s 115 thousand degrees outside and sure we’re still adjusting to our new environment … but the discontent (or maybe disconnect?), appears to derive from a different source. But what, oh dear friends, is this mysterious source?

Dr. Seuss has the answer, and it’s not a source, it’s a place: The Waiting Place …

Waiting for a train to go
Or a bus to come, or a plane to go
Or the mail to come, or the rain to go
Or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
Or waiting around for a Yes or No
Or waiting for their hair to grow
Everyone is just waiting.

Yes, mom, big sissy and twins currently reside in The Waiting Place ...

Waiting for an editor to call
Or the rain to fall (please dear God!)
Or waiting for the air conditioner to be fixed (last night, not good)
Or waiting for another one of my articles to be nixed
Or waiting for a preschool for Laura
Or waiting twins ready for Dora
We are all just waiting.

I’m not saying it’s all bad (only the broken a/c). I’m just saying that sometimes it’s not always comfortable to be in The Waiting Place. Of course we must, according to Dr. Seuss, pass through this stand-still moment before embarking on the next journey. But for Pete’s (or Dr. Seuss’s) sake! Here’s to wishing you God’s speed on your next journey, but should I bump into you in The Waiting Place, no offense, but I’m not letting you cut in line. All right, I’m no good at turning people away – go ahead … I guess I’ll wait just a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment