Monday, May 24, 2010

Play with Your Toys!

Toys, toys everywhere, but not a toy to play with! I figure this must be the mantra that floats through my 18-month-old twins heads--and three-year-old big sissy, Laura, is no exception! Scattered as far as the eye can see and feet can trip on, are Little People trains, plains and automobiles, not too mention a L.P. plastic house per child, battery operated and ready to annoy the living daylights out of the parents who purchased them. There are also blocks for stacking, baby dolls for feeding, play-kitchens for cooking mass amounts of plastic food and enough craft and art supplies for an in-home daycare/preschool (and no, I will not be doing either).

With entertainment abound, you would think I'd be livin' the high-life--sittin' pretty on the couch with my bon-bons and reading magazines until my eyes cross, writing enough articles to create my own magazine. But NO! Instead, my three "Littles" as I call them, are either a) antagonizing the living willies out of one another. b) antagonizing the living willies out of Mom. c) playing with household items they should not be, including but not limited to: vacuum attachments, towels, drawers from a poor piece of dismembered furniture, Tupperware and their favorite non-toy-item--Mommy's phone.

Thinking I could outsmart them, I even created a "secret room"--a cleverly masked "playroom" (calling it that would of course deter them from playing in it). In the room the size of a large closet, I set-up the play kitchen, a small table and matching chair; and encouraging sissy Laura to help me, put cute flower and dragonfly appliques on the walls. Ha, that ought to interest them; and it did! For all of two seconds. Waa-waaaa. It didn't even take a full day for the novelty of the "secret room" to wear off quicker than cheap nail polish.

I'm tempted to meltdown all toys so I can transform them into vacuum attachments, furniture drawers, Tupperware and cell phones...although surely, the Littles would immediately detect that these household items were once "real" toys, and disperse them amongst the rest of the graveyard toys--all my hard meltdown work would be a big waste of time. I'd love to discuss this subject more, but the girls are in a hair-pulling contest and there are toys to pick up.

1 comment:

  1. I want to know who wins the hair pulling contest! My bet is that the girls have complete heads of hair and Momma is bald by the time it's all over. . . .hummm

    LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete