Tuesday, September 15, 2009

How do I do it?

When people learn that I have three kids under the age of three (and that twins are part of this package), I then receive one of the following two remarks: "Wow you sure have your hands full," and/or "I don't know how you do it." And the really brave ones, who don't know they are opening Pandora's box will ask me, "How do you do it." HAAAAAAAAAAA. Well...for those of you who are really prepared to see what's inside that tricky box...here goes:

First of all, I just do it. I get up at 6a.m., sometimes later if the Baby Gods are smiling down upon me. I carry one eighteen-pound baby in one arm and a nineteen-pound baby in the other. I switch em' up to make sure one arm isn't more buff than the other. I may or may not be accompanied by my two-year-old, who is already chanting "I'm hungry, I want to eat, I'm hungry, I want to eat." Once downstairs babies are screaming for bottles, Laura's mantra is still going (now louder), "I'm hungry, Canna have some waffles, canna have some waffles." All this at 6a.m. and I haven't even had my coffee yet!!!!

Repeat scenario in the afternoon around lunchtime, and again at dinner. In between, I break-up fights between twins, fights between Laura versus twins, and Laura versus Laura. I do some cleaning, usually half-ass surface cleaning, because who really cares if you can see baby hand prints on the entertainment center? And swiping excess chunks of food from the baby chairs, and trays insn't cheating in my book. They'll just get messy again later. I spend a large portion of the day trying to keep my obsessive compulsive self from panicking over the mine-field of yesterday's (sometimes last week's) crumbs and dog hair clumps on the carpet and hardwood floor. Occassionally the OCD gets the better of me and creates a cleaning monster - but not often enough. Of course theres the laundry, diapers, dishwasher, necessitated run to Target for formula with all three kids, keeping little fingers away from dangerous sockets, keeping permanent markers away from bigger fingers, practicing not screaming just because someone said Mommy for the ten-thousanth time, etc.

I'd like to say that I "do it" all with grace. That I do it with that huge cheezy smile you all know I can do. Sometimes I do! And I cherish those days. More often than not, I probably don't. At least not all day. But cheezy smile or no...I love it! Yeah, I said it...I love it! It ain't gonna be forever, and time will suck these years up a lot faster than my OCD vacuuming. For those of you who do whatever it is you do...have fun...write cynical blogs...put on your cheezy smile...and here's my HOLLA to you all!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment